ESPAÑOL      |      PORTUGUÊS      |      FRANÇAIS      |      DEUTSCH      |      我们说普通话      |      हिंदी      |      বাংলা

Call Today for a FREE
in Office Consultation

(212) 201-9031

Toll Free: 1-88-VISA-LAW-1

Can You Apply for a U.S. Work Permit While Waiting for Your Asylum Results?

Despite what some people may believe, it can be difficult to obtain permission to work after you have applied for asylum. In fact, there are very important steps you must take if this something you would like to do. Keep in mind that, as an immigrant, you are only allowed to work in the United States under the following conditions:

  • You applied for asylum at least 180 days ago and have not received a final result for your request
  • You have been approved for asylum or gained recommended approval for a grant of asylum

If you fall into either of these classifications and would like to begin working in the United States, it is necessary that you file Form I-765 Employment Authorization Document. This must be done after 150 days have passed since the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services obtained your application for asylum. Once you have been granted permission to work, you can begin employment in the U.S. for a specific amount of time.

Where Can I Access the Application to Request to Work?

Form I-765 Employment Authorization Document can be retrieved in two different ways:

  • You can retrieve it by visiting under the tab “Forms.”
  • You can retrieve the form by contacting the National Customer Service Center at 1(800) 375-5283 and requesting that they send you the application via mail.

What Documents Will I Need When I Submitting this Form?

When submitting an I-765 Form, you will need to supply the following documents:

  • Two identical pictures of yourself (these must be photographed within 30 days of filing your application)
  • A copy of your former EAD or another government-issued document, such as:
    • passport
    • birth certificate
    • state ID card
    • visa
  • A copy of your Form-I-94 which is your Arrival/Departure Record

What Will Happen Once I Have Submitted the Form?

Most likely, you will obtain a final decision on your form within 90 days of the USCIS receiving the application. Once it is approved, you will receive your EAD via mail. If your request is denied, the agency is required to supply a reason. At this point, you are permitted to submit a motion to reconsider or reopen with the same office. In these situations, it is crucial that you consult an experienced immigration lawyer.

Pozo Goldstein, LLP Can Represent You

The New York immigration lawyers at Pozo Goldstein, LLP know how difficult life can become when you are denied permission to work in the United States. That is why our team is dedicated to helping you obtain employment as well as citizenship. Backed by years of experience, we have what it takes to help you and your family.

Call our team without delay. If you are experiencing trouble with any immigration issues or processes, contact our New York immigration attorneys Pozo Goldstein, LLP today!