ESPAÑOL      |      PORTUGUÊS      |      FRANÇAIS      |      DEUTSCH      |      我们说普通话      |      हिंदी      |      বাংলা

Call Today for a FREE
in Office Consultation

(212) 201-9031

Toll Free: 1-88-VISA-LAW-1

Exchange Visitor Programs

If you are interested in applying for a visa under Exchange Visitor programs, we encourage you to get the involvement of one of our top immigration lawyers.

In the United States, there is offered certain visas under the Exchange Visitor Program. These are designed to help people come to the U.S. to have an experience which will allow them to both soak in the culture of our country, while serving as an ambassador to theirs and enriching the people around them. These programs are administered by the U.S. Department of State and were created under the Mutual Educational and Cultural Exchange of 1961. It was created to “promote mutual understanding between the people of the United States and other country” and hopes to achieve this through “educational and cultural exchange.”

Are you interested in participating in an Exchange Visitor Program?

The visas that are extended under the Exchange Visitor Programs allow for foreign nationals to come into our country to experience the American way of life and share with Americans their culture, traditions and national history. If you are interested in participating in one of these programs, the first thing that you will need to do is find a program that has been certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP).

The following must be met to qualify for an Exchange Visitor visa:

  • Applicant must plan to visit the U.S. for a temporary, finite period.
  • Applicant must have clear ability to pay for themselves during the trip.
  • Applicant must have “ties” abroad that will insure they return home.

If the above is met, they will be able to apply for their visa at either a U.S. Embassy or consulate. If they are between the ages of 14 and 79, it is likely that they will be required to schedule an interview, which will discuss relevant topics and determine eligibility for the visa to be administered. By working with an experienced lawyer, you will be able to determine the best course of action to filing for a visa.

Exchange Visitor Visas: Explaining the Two Types

Under the Exchange Visitor Program established by the United States, there are two separate different visas which allow for people to come into America with the purpose for educational and cultural exchange. Below, we at Pozo Goldstein, LLP will explain these two main categories:

  • J Visas – The J-1 visa allows for people to come into the United States with the purpose to work, study or teach. It is primarily educational-based and allows for vocational study that helps participants to both enjoy the U.S. culture while educating people around them about the culture of their home country. Examples include camp counselors, au pair, college students and more.
  • Q Visas – This is more employment-based than educational and allow for people to be sponsored by employers to take part in their established cultural exchange program. They must be allowed to show their culture in a direct public setting. An example is working at Disney’s Epcot® theme park.

If you are interested in applying for a visa under the Exchange Visitor program, we encourage you to get the involvement of a knowledgeable immigration lawyer from our firm today. With years of experience, we will be able to step up to help you fight for your deserved rights. Should you get the involvement of our firm, you will be able to rest assured knowing that we will do everything possible to help you obtain the experienced legal help of a member from our firm. We know what is on the line and will do everything that we can to help. To learn more about how we can help, please do not hesitate to contact our firm today.